Now home to ARTS of the Pamlico, the historic Turnage Theatre has long served as the centerpiece of downtown Washington.
The historic Turnage Theatre is actually two theaters. The original theatre was an upstairs vaudeville theatre built in 1913 and in its original condition. The Palace Theatre was built to the rear of the original in 1930, and was fashioned after the Palace Theatre in New York. Later renamed Turnage Theatre after its owner C.A. Turnage, it showed movies until it closed in 1979, as commerce moved away from downtown areas all over the country.